Twitter

Saturday, September 03, 2016

A happy birthday in numbers

On my birthday, I received a total of 65 "happy birthday!" messages (in either Chinese or English) via social messaging. For the first year, I got birthday wishes from LinkedIn. I thought it'd be fun to visualize using Tableau some basic information about these social messages, as a snapshot of a subset of my social network.
  • More than 3/4 of my birthday wishing social network are Chinese.
  • The biggest three groups in my current online social networks of nice people are via family, via work, and via kids, which are the three main (if not ONLY) occasions of my social interactions. 
  • My Chinese friends are active on Wechat and my non-Chinese friends are mostly on facebook.
  • Facebook and LinkedIn both post reminders about upcoming birthdays. From the trends, it seems that LinkedIn users are only active in the morning or in the evening, while Facebook users (at least those among my FB friends) are more active during the day and around meal times. 


No comments: